COOK TIME 3-4 hours
Serving Size 10 - 2
• Preparation time: 30 minutes
• Cooking time: 3 - 4 hours
• 4kg unsmoked, boneless gammon joint
• 2 Spanish onions, chopped
• 2 leeks, chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• Fresh thyme, 5 sprigs
• Water to cover
• 2 teaspoons cloves
For the maple glaze
• 125ml molasses
• 185ml maple syrup
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 100ml brandy
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas Mark 4
2. Place the chopped vegetables, spices and ham in the casserole and cover with water. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down, put on the lid and simmer for 3 hours.
3. Once the ham is cooked remove from the casserole and pour the simmering liquid and vegetables into another pan. See Cook’s note.
4. Wash and dry the casserole and place the ham back inside. Score the ham in a criss-cross fashion and stud with the cloves.
5. Place in the pre-heated oven and roast for 30 minutes without the lid.
6. Add all the ingredients for the maple glaze to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove the casserole from the oven and brush the ham with the maple glaze until it is beautifully golden brown.
• The reserved liquid can be strained and used as stock for other recipes.
Recipe courtesy of Le Creuset